14 March 2014

Isaac James Linn

Isaac James Linn
January 21, 2014 
7:14 pm
3.7 kg
50cm 
Seoul, South Korea

My Expected Due date was January 17th, 2014, however I knew Isaac would be late. For my first 2 deliveries I was induced and I wanted to be with this one to as well. I had a fear of not getting to the hospital quickly enough and having to give birth all natural, i.e. no epidural. (I had mentioned to my doctor on several occasions that I wanted an epidural as soon as they could give it to me!) - you can read about my first 2 birth stories here and here.

January 17th, a Friday, rolled around and I headed to the doctor for an appointment where we scheduled an induction for the following Tuesday, Jan. 21. YISS was hosting a swim meet on Saturday and we were really hoping Tim would not have to leave me at the hospital to go to it.  So, thankfully we made it through the weekend without a birth! We casually woke up Tuesday, got the big boys "settled" with breakfast when Emma, our helper came over. I had been working all weekend to get people lined up to watch the big boys while we were at the hospital; friend's from YISS, church, and our neighbor took shifts ( a HUGE thank you to them!!!).

We got to the hospital around 9am. They immediately put us in the private delivery room (same room that we were in for Titus' birth) and began prepping me. Then my doctor, Dr. Shin, came in to check dilation... "hmmm"  she informed me that my cervix was not soft at all and I was hardly dilated... this didn't mean much to me considering I knew we were inducing. - In the U.S. they never checked to see if I was "ready" (a week early mind you). So, I didn't think it would pose a problem.

Dr. Shin made sure I was okay with continuing on with induction and informed me it would be a while. I already had the big boys set up for the next few days, so I wanted to go ahead and deliver. Well she inserted a med that we think (yes, think; a dilema while in Korea is not always knowing what you are being administered) was Cervidil to help soften my cervix. She said I could get up walk around and that it would take a couple of hours to work. Meanwhile, I am texting my sis-in-law, a former LD nurse, to get the scoop on the meds and all that. Apparently how they do it in Korea is VERY different from the U.S. but I won't go into that.

2 -3 hrs later my doctor came in and took out the meds and began an IV drip... finally!! Not too long after I received the epidural, "oh thank goodness". I was having back contractions, which I have come to believe are the WORST!!! The nurse came in to administer the medicine for the epidural... then another nurse came in... then my doctor. They had me laying on my side and stood over me talking (In Korean) for 20+ minutes. (I was having so many thoughts; is it gong to work, do I have to get the needle administered again...)  Finally I got Tim to inform me of what was going on. He said that the clip where they administer the meds was pinching the line, or something, so they were replacing it. phew!

Okay, the meds were starting to work, my back pain was going away and my legs were getting numb... well, my left was numb, my right was tingling... "oh well it's fine" I thought, "it will take a bit for it to really work".... 1 hour later still nothing in my right leg.. "'AHHHHH' the epidural isn't working!!!" I told Tim, who told the doctor... then a while later, we told her again. They administered more meds... waiting, waiting, still NOTHING. AHH!  Well, now it's time to PUUUSH.... PUSSSHHH!! no meds,  I screamed, "AHHH I can't do this!!!"  PUUUSSSHHHH  The nurse informed me that I was scaring the patient next door ...then I yelled back "I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!"  AHHHHHH PUUUUSHH! I had to lay on my side for several minutes then turn to my back, and then back on my side... Dr. Shin was trying to turn Isaac into the right position.. AHHHHH PUUUSHH, PUUUUSSSHHH!  then my Dr. says " man this is like a first child again".... PUUSH!

After what seemed like forever, and with my Dr. saying "not much longer" for what seemed like FOREVER, Isaac's head slipped out! He must have come a little quicker than my doctor thought because she told me to wait... "Wait", I thought "what? why? are you CRAZY". The dr. wasn't ready. I yelled at her "I don't care if you're ready, I'm pushing, he is coming out!" It was unnatural to "wait", what was she thinking? His head was out, why sit there with him 1/2 out, oh that was the WORST part of it. One last push and there he was, my beautiful baby boy. Immediately I had relief from the pain.

And now I have 3 boys under 3!


I always thought people who went into birth wanting to do it without meds are CRAZY! I would NEVER want to do it again, but now I understand, and will even support, any woman who wants to give birth without meds. Not because of fear of meds going into the baby, etc. but because it allows you to fully experience the GIFT God has given us, to be able to bare children. I am still in awe that all 3 of my children came out of me; and being able to feel everything with Issac made it much more real and humbling to me!

Anyways, long story short I went in hoping for meds and an easy birth, but God had different plans for me to see HIM in the process of it all!

Praise HIM for a safe delivery and a healthy baby!





 Titus meeting Isaac 
 Axen meeting Isaac 

 so proud
 brotherly love already! 



 Brothers

 Jason & Yui and Shauna came to visit! 




 getting ready to go home - it's cold outside! 




1 comment: