06 October 2009

YISS Cross Country


Timmy has been helping coach the high school YISS XC team this fall. So far they have had 5 meets, of which I have been to 3 (as the photographer). It has been an awesome way for us to be more involved, and get to know the students better. We have traveled some with the team, which gives us an opportunity to also see other parts of South Korea. Well, here I'll let Timmy tell you more about it...

Well Kristin is holding a gun to my head right now making me write on this blog... Yes I am coaching cross country and it is a blast. The kids are great, love to goof off, and every once in a while we do some running. We have around 7 girls, and 17ish guys, all depending on grades and detentions on a given day. I naturally spend most of my time with the guys team, although our practices are run together, we have a separate coach for the girls also. Running with the guys not only is keeping me in-shape, but I have been able to build many relationships with the guys through a common bond of some of the most miserable mountain runs.
Cross country here is quite different than in the states. Not really many beaten paths, streams, or fields for us to run through. It is more like urban cross country,which defiantly has its added elements of dogging busses and scooters.
We compete against 9 other schools in the KIAK conference. We are middle of the pack but have been moving up and improving more comparatively to the other schools. It is fun to see the kids drop 3 min in a single race. I could only dream of such drops. Well I hope whoever actually reads this thing enjoys my blurb about Xcountry.
you can follow our results a YISSPN.com


Varsity boys prayer before a race

First meet of the season
Coach Parrish and Coach Linn


No comments:

Post a Comment