Titus Jae Linn
July 1, 2011
6 lbs 6 oz
19.6 inches
Thursday June 30, we went in to the Dr. for an appointment and to schedule an induction time. The dr. did an ultrasound and checked to see if I was dilated. Afterwards, she ran one more test to check for contractions, although I wasn't feeling any. They strapped me up to a machine and told me to push a button whenever I felt Titus move. So, I sat and waited... there he was....oh, there he is again... The doctor came in to check on me and said "how do you feel, any pain?", me "um, no not at all", the doctor "your not hurting AT ALL?", me "no (a little puzzled why she was so surprised)". Then she told me I was having some big contractions. WHAT?!?! I had nooo idea. When she left I asked Timmy to look at the print out and tell me where the arrows were recorded from when I felt him move. "At the peak of the contractions". hahaha I thought the contractions were just Titus moving inside me :)
So, we talked to the doctor and she was going to have us leave and then return on Monday to be induced on Tuesday (July 5) if nothing happened before then. Timmy and I didn't want that. It was too far away, plus my mom was to arrive Monday afternoon, and I couldn't be in labor while Tim went to pick her up. So, after some convincing, the Doctor said we could induce that day!! Tim ran home to get our bags and things while I was prepped.
They started the induction drip around 1:45 pm; a few minutes later Tim arrived with our bags, and we were moved to a private birthing room.
So, we talked to the doctor and she was going to have us leave and then return on Monday to be induced on Tuesday (July 5) if nothing happened before then. Timmy and I didn't want that. It was too far away, plus my mom was to arrive Monday afternoon, and I couldn't be in labor while Tim went to pick her up. So, after some convincing, the Doctor said we could induce that day!! Tim ran home to get our bags and things while I was prepped.
They started the induction drip around 1:45 pm; a few minutes later Tim arrived with our bags, and we were moved to a private birthing room.
A few hours later the contractions picked up and started to hurt, rather than just bother me. I was hooked up to the same machine that tested my contractions.. it monitored contractions and Titus' heart rate. I was able to walk around some, but laid in bed most of the time.
After 6 or 7 hours, the last two me screaming through each contraction, they gave me my epidural; around 9 pm. It was AWESOME!!!! I don't know how women can endure contractions without it!!
Once the epidural kicked in my doctor checked and said I was 3 cm dilated and about 30 % effaced. So I should just relax, sleep if I could, and wait... it would be a while (well after midnight she said).
About an hour later a nurse came in and checked, I was now 4 cm dilated.. yay! we are making progress. Tim and I just sat back Skyped some family, and were planning on taking a nap.
About an hour later the nurse came back to check again... (she had a puzzled look on her face). I asked how far? She told us in Korean.. Timmy and I looked at each other.. nope we don't know that number (we only really know how to count to 7, haha, which meant.. we were past that?!) How could that be? We double checked. "9", The nurse confirmed I was now 9 cm dilated. WOW that was fast!
The nurses came rushing in with all the gear needed for Titus' arrival, and gave Tim a little outfit...
The nurses gave me the okay to push, so I did. After just a few minutes though, they all left the room in a hurry. I was like, what is going on? Then we heard a crying baby in the other room; they had to rush over to help out. - Then they came back with the doctor and we pushed. His head was crowning, but just not coming out. So, the nurse put her elbow/forearm at the top of my stomach (where Titus' bottom was) and as I pushed the nurse pushed, with all her weight, on my stomach. Tim said as she did it, he saw her feet going up the wall behind her.. she was REALLY putting all her weight onto me. The first time this happened, I shoved her off with a lot of force, and she sort of hit the wall (oops). But what was I supposed to do, I couldn't breathe, she has knocked the air out of me. As I shoved her off, she somehow hit the IV in my arm and it got shaken up and started bleeding all down my wrist. I just looked at it and said "blood!". The nurse took care of it as I pushed again.
The nurse then climbed back on top of me and pushed as I did. It was about the 5th time of the nurse pushing on my stomach and I had about had enough when the next thing I know, the Dr. is holding Titus upside down by one foot, hitting him on the back. She then handed him to the nurse. Titus wasn't crying however. The nurses hit him on the back, laid him down hit his feet, still nothing. They suctioned his nose, nothing. Then one of the nurses got out a small tube stuck it down his mouth and breathed into the tube a few times. She took it out and he was okay and crying. All that happened in about 30 seconds, but it felt like 5 minutes. The whole time the doctor was telling me he was fine, he would cry in just a second; it felt like a long time.
Here are some pictures of our time at the hospital...
Our hotel room... I mean hospital room.. it was the VIP room.
On our way Home from the hospital
Thanks for the cute onesie Lacey!!! (check out more of her crafts at Lacey's Place)
First night at home
Some of our swimmers stopped by to meet Titus (yes, our first night home; it was great to see them. Tim picked them up and got us all pizza for dinner.)
playing with Titus before we rinse him off and put him to bed
We are BLESSED!!!!
O KAJ! This gets me so excited for you (And anxious- haha!) Thanks for updating us. Its great to finally meet him (via blog). Love and miss you!! (PS: Do you all plan to come in for Christmas break??)
ReplyDelete