04 August 2009

Food for thought

The one thing I knew would take some getting used to is food in Korea. The famous Korean dish, if you don't already know, is Kimchi. Kimchi, as I was first told, is "fermented lettuce", however come to find out there are over 1,000 different types of Kimchi. It began as just vegetables fermented in salt, now it includes things like hot peppers and even fish paste; although other seasonings are included as well. Kimchi is... well... interesting. It has its own taste that can not be compared to anything else. So far, none of the Kimchi I have eaten tastes similar to the other. And NO I typically don't order it, it more often than not comes as a side dish.


Tim and I have eaten traditional Korean food about 2-3 times a week so far. It is extremely cheap, so cheap that it benefits to eat out more often than cooking at home! Typically one dish is anywhere from 1,000W to 5,000W (less than $1 to less than $4). I have yet to find myself craving Korean food, however I do crave things like hamburgers, fries, and McCalister cookies :). To our surprise, we have been able to find mostfoods we enjoy; ice cream (there is a Cold Stone about 8 min walk away), pizza (Pizza School, delicious!!its the 5th shop to the right ^), Fried Chicken (yes, it can be compared to Southern fried chicken), Hamburger joints,yet we haven't eaten atany yet,
Bakeries (Paris Baguette, oh so fresh bread picture on the left <)... I think you get the point.





We have cooked a few times thus far. We have made several salads, our local street venders have cheap yet good vegetables and lettuce. For most other things we go to the local grocery store, as I have told of before. Meals that we make are similar to what we made in the US. We went this past week with a group from the school to Costco where we spent plenty of money, but only on things we REALLY needed; like a $15 jar of peanut butter (granted it is HUGE). Needless to say we are willing to spend some money on food to make just a bit more comfortable every once in a while.

We took a night out tonight. We went to I' Park Mall (known more for massive amounts of electronics). We ate at Curry Pot. As you can imagine, it was all Curry food. Oh, was it good! It is interesting what moving to a different country/culture will do to you. I am more open to different types of food, and look forward to trying foods from different cultures, i.e. Thai, Russian, Turkish, Middle Eastern, etc. Might I add that my seafood disliking has NOT changed.
Us infront of I'Park Mall

Other Korean foods that are good are... Bibimbop, Kim bop, Bulgogi, and Bap(cooked rice). So go to a local Korean restaurant and try some of them out!!



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys are getting settled in... when does school start?

    We miss you guys and are praying for you. Keep writing... I find your stories very intriguing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MISS YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! I wish you were here to talk to, because I need you!

    I'm so happy that y'all are getting accustomed to everything. School is just around the corner ;)

    Y'all have been in my prayers every day and will continue to be! I can't wait to hear more stories and see more pictures.

    I love you very much

    ReplyDelete