29 September 2010

Allergenic Bronchitis

Apparently I've got it... allergenic bronchitis. I have been coughing off and on for the past week, but have never felt bad, at all! No fever, no feeling weak, nothing. Well, you might ask how I knew I had this illness (if you can even call it that; but for now we will).

This saturday Tim and I, along with several other teachers, are running a 10k night race; headlamps and all :).

Simple enough- that's your answer. Since I have been coughing I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything too alarmingly wrong before I run. So I went to the doctor to get it checked out. Now, this is the first time I have been to the doctor in Korea, so I wasn't sure what it would be like. So that is what this post is for, to tell all of you (if anyone actually reads my blog, I'm not sure, but I like to pretend you do) very briefly what it was like.

I had an appointment for 10:40am at the SGH hospital which has an International clinic. In the clinic I saw Dr. Yu, who apparently speaks fluent Korean, English, Spanish, and who knows what others. Anyways, I got there, waited about 5 minutes, and then he saw me. I went into his office where he asked what was wrong. I explained that I had been feeling congested a little, and had been coughing. Dr. Yu, took my temperature, looked in my throat, and then listened to my chest. He explained that I either had Allergenic Bronchitis or Asthma. He sent me off for Xrays and a breathing treatment. A nurse, who spoke English took me downstairs for the Xrays and treatment. After they were completed, I went back to the Doctor's office. I met with him for another 5 minutes. During that time he looked at my Xrays, listened to my chest again and confirmed that it was not asthma, so it was allergenic bronchitis.

Oh and last year, when we first got to Korea, we had to get a check up. Well, apparently there was a spot on my Xray (of my lungs), and they wanted me to come back to double check. I asked Dr. Yu about it, he said it looks like I had a broken rib that had healed, and that was the spot... So I guess I broke a rib at some point before we came to Korea?! WHO KNEW!


Dr. Yu gave me some medicine to help me get over this "illness". Here is what he gave me:

The packaging. The first 2 are for night time, and then the 3rd has small packages with 3 pills inside and I have to take 1 package 2 times a day.

The pills. The top packages are the ones with 3 pills inside that I have to take 2 times a day. So I don't forget one of the pills, they put it in an idiot proof package!


Now, the doctor never said if I could or couldn't run on saturday, so I plan on running. Wish me luck running my first 10k (which I haven't really been training for...oops)





P.S. Danny (Tim's brother) is here, so I'll post again soon!

1 comment: